Is Your Teen Keen on Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Recently, I was visiting a friend in New Mexico; it’s Chile roasting time you know and Hatch, New Mexico is known for its famous Green Chile. You cannot replicate the amazing aroma that delicately covers the air this time of year–it’s an utter kick of roasted spiciness; you might say it’s pepper heaven.


If you are not aware…TEENS ARE OBSESSED with their PHONES! This obsession leads to creative ways to charge their phones during power outages. And where can you charge a phone during a power outage?  Why not in the car that is parked in the GARAGE. So turn the car on and YES–the charging of phone is happening! Well, I hope you foresee the danger here, as my friend’s dear niece did not. 

Fortunately, my little guy pooped (he’s potty trained, but refuses to submit number two into the toilet!) and because of that (the need to toss the poop), I walked into the garage and BAM! The scent of fumes engulfs me, and I’m pretty confused why the car is on.

Of course, I begin screaming, “The cars on! The cars on!”

Seconds later, my friend begins yelling for her niece: “WHERE’S BELLA?”

Who is in the car…charging her phone. Bella could not understand why the adults were frantic and running around in a crazed state shouting: “Get out of the garage! Get out of the house EVERYONE!!!”

Needless to say, later that evening we discussed carbon monoxide poisoning with all the kids.  And since this incident, I’ve learned many teenagers are not aware of this danger–even though they’re of the driving age. I’ve even questioned my daughter hoping I, the parent, had somehow mentioned this fact. Apparently, I had not.                                  

She simply responded, “I learned it from Army Wives.

Army Wives, well a very big thank you Lifetime Movie Channel! 

Bella is fortunate, but other teens have not been as lucky. In January 2016, Alex Bedolla  died from carbon monoxide poisoning while working on his car’s stereo system. Unfortunately, his car was turned on while the garage was closed.  I cannot imagine his family returning home. His death is one too many. I’m hoping this story is a gentle reminder to discuss this hazard with our children.   

Life poses many threats for our kids.  As parents, we do our best to make sure they’re safe; yet, it’s pretty challenging to run a checklist of every danger.  As a community, we can certainly help to influence the awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning. Please, please don’t assume your child will learn this in school. Share this story and talk to your children. Please, also, consider a carbon monoxide detector for your home. Deadly carbon monoxide leaks can occur, having a detector can help your family and friends stay safe. Let’s keep everyone safe and on the journey called life. 

And what about the 20 lb bag of Green Chile? My stash of Green Gold? ME, leave New Mexico without my bit of pepper heaven–not a chance! You bet I returned home with my treasure, and I smelled the wonderful aroma the entire drive home. 😉






22 thoughts on “Is Your Teen Keen on Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

    1. Thank you, Brigid! This was actually back in September this year and an earlier post. I probably should have mentioned that in the start. And yes we are enjoying the chilies. I really love visiting New Mexico. It’s known as the “Land of Enchantment” for good reason. The small town of Hatch, New Mexico is a must stop. And my favorite restaurant is Hot Stuff, so good! They have green chili stew and it’s just wonderful. As for the 20 lb bag, I have all the chilies roasted and bring home to place in separate bags while munching on a few. I like to peel the outer charred layer and chomp away–yes maybe they are hot, but they are perfect for me! Then toss in the freezer to use throughout the year. In the fall, I head back to New Mexico during chile roasting season and do it all over again. I am lucky to live close enough to drive. When my husband and I were stationed in Georgia we hit a state of chile depression. When we were reassigned to Arizona we were sad to leave Georgia, my home state, but we were happy for more chile roasts! 🙂

      Liked by 1 person

    1. Charging the phone is okay. The problem is she turned the car on inside the garage which was an enclosed garage. Since the electricity was out, she couldn’t open garage. And also could not charge phone. Her solution was I’ll turn on the car to charge phone. So you’re fine on road trips to charge your phone. I think this is what you were maybe asking, but yes carbon monoxide can kill. If you Google this you’ll see if these warnings. Anyways, I hope I understood your comment. 😊


  1. Thank you, Sharon, for alerting us to this issue. Sometimes teen surprise us: they may be perfectly aware and responsible about one thing, and then totally unaware and silly about another thing. Anyway, it’s definitely better to breathe in the aroma of the chillies than carbon monoxide !

    Liked by 1 person

  2. There have been reports in my country about people who died from carbon monoxide poisoning from the fumes of household power generators. Thanks for this added awareness that the emission from cars in the garage pose similar dangers.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Yes it’s horrible that can happen. I’ve read about the house hold leaks in the US too. The most recent I’ve read is at a slumber party. Very tragic. We have had too many teenage passings here lately, car accidents and such. We can reduce the chances of carbon monoxide poisoning through awareness and detectors. Thank you for commenting and sharing the dangers!

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s